Discord is your place to talk. Whether you’re part of a school club, gaming group, worldwide art community, or just a handful of friends that want to spend time together, millions of people use Discord every day to create connections, hang out, and talk. At the heart of Discord’s communities is Safety.
The Safety team at Discord ensures users find belonging by minimizing exposure to spam and other forms of platform abuse. We are excited to find others passionate about making sure Discord is a safe and welcoming place for our users and hope you can join us on this mission.
As an Exploitative Content Specialist, you’ll report to the Exploitative Content Lead and have a meaningful understanding of the abuse space while protecting Discord’s many communities and experience participating in and/or managing cross-functional projects and initiatives.
What you’ll be doing
- View and respond to sensitive content reports, including but not limited to the review of explicit images, videos and other objectionable material
- Utilize deep subject matter expertise and quantitative and qualitative methods to identify networks of harmful and violating explicit behavior
- Work cross-collaboratively with other teams, including Policy, Product, Engineering and Legal in responding to sensitive issues and providing deep knowledge into different content types.
- Conduct in depth investigations into high harm behaviors and their actors
- Respond to users experiencing safety-related or high harm issues and empathetically address their concer
What you should have
- At least 3+ years of experience investigating and acting on digital crimes and internet-enabled abuse against children or experience in reviewing and acting on violating adult explicit content
- Experience reporting high harm behavior and communicating with third party agencies like NCMEC and law enforcement
- Experience analyzing and mitigating high-impact threats and online threat actors, with a track record of managing tactical & strategic initiatives resulting in measurable change
- Ability to creates tailored solutions to a wide range of challenges
- Experience navigating a fast-moving and rapidly-scaling environment
- Ability to work overnight, early morning, and/or weekend shift
- Fluency in SQL and Python
- Experience with Discord’s API
- Familiarity with ticketing systems, enough that you know keyboard shortcuts
- Project management skills and experience driving cross-team collaboration
- In-depth knowledge of internet culture and trends
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Comfort with ambiguity and trauma related content
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $117,000 to $126,000 + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role and level. Within the range, individual pay is determined by additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include equity, or benefits.
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 14+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!