About The Position:
Core coaches are dynamic and motivated undergraduate students who virtually support fellow high school students in their journeys to college. The Let’s Get Ready staff sends pre-scheduled text messages each week to our high school students with helpful tips, reminders, and check-in questions. When students reply to those pre-scheduled texts with questions or comments, Core Coaches respond to students and start a conversation. Core Coaches jump into action when a student shares a challenge, to build a relationship, provide individualized support, and troubleshoot the issue.
This role is an exciting opportunity to have a large-scale impact on the students we serve by supporting them through our weekly texting curriculum, answering their questions, and providing encouragement and resources to support their college goals.
Core Coaches report to a Let’s Get Ready Program Manager who provides guidance and support through weekly supervision meetings.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Respond to student text messages received on our texting platform within 24 hours
- Provide engaging support to students, including advice, resources and encouragement around topics such as: completing tasks to apply for college, completing financial applications, enrolling into a college, talking to their guidance counselor, accessing academic and mental health support, school-work-life balance, and other obstacles
- Provide a college perspective – sharing relevant stories from your experience as a college student to help students navigate their own journey
- Send relevant tip sheets from LGR curriculum and guide students to make good use the school resources available to them
- Develop warm rapport with students and ask follow-up questions, with the goals of increasing program engagement and supporting matriculation and persistence in college
- Must be a current or recent undergraduate student who has demonstrated leadership and communication skills.
- Students must be able to commit to the position for the remainder of the school year (through August).
- Dedicated and passionate about Let’s Get Ready’s mission and supporting our students
- Lived experience or experience working with students from under-resourced communities
- 1st generation college student
- Strong problem-solving, organizational, and time management skills
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills – especially the ability to communicate with warmth and build mentoring relationships over text.
- Ability to use discernment and clear judgment about the level of support and follow-up needed including following LGR’s escalation protocols to identify and support at-risk students
- Core coaches are expected to review training material from August 2023 and complete onboarding tasks in addition to clearances before working with students.
More about the Position and Location:
This is a part- time remote position that requires 6 to 7 hours per week. The schedule varies, but coaches are expected to commit to the position from February 2024 through August 2024. Flexibility will be offered for school breaks/personal breaks as appropriate to meet program objectives and in consultation with your manager.
The hourly wage is at least $12.00/hour or your work location’s minimum wage – whichever is higher.
This position runs from February 26, 2024 to August 16, 2024, with the expectation that coaches will work through the summer.
How to apply:
Complete application & submit resume. Applicants applying by February 9, 2024 will be strongly considered. All others will be considered on a rolling basis. Please do not contact the job poster.