Salary Range:$30.00 To 35.00 Hourly
The American Academy of Arts and Sciences has an opening for a Temporary Editor to work full-time (40 hours/week) in the Office of Publications, from approximately November 2023 to April 2024. This position is fully remote, though the Academy’s headquarters are based in Cambridge, MA.
The American Academy of Arts and Sciences, founded in 1780, is one of the country’s oldest and most prestigious scholarly organizations. The Academy is both an honorary society that recognizes and celebrates the excellence of its members and an independent research center, convening leaders from across disciplines, professions, and perspectives to address significant challenges. The Academy is committed to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion and looks to its staff members to foster and promote its mission and values.
The Academy produces two quarterly publications – Dædalus, the Journal of the American Academy of Arts & Sciences, and the Bulletin, the magazine of the Academy – as well as project reports, research papers and monographs, data publications, and books.
- editing Academy publications, with a focus on Dædalus, the Bulletin, and project reports
- page layout of Dædalus using InDesign
- communicating regularly with authors to lead them through the editing process
- posting Dædalus essays and issues on the Academy’s website; proofreading other online publications
- bachelor’s degree
- 3 to 4 years of full-time experience (or equivalent) in an editorial role
- demonstrated ability to copyedit and line edit scholarly and journalistic prose
- ability to self-motivate, work independently and collaboratively, manage one’s own time, and prioritize according to the needs and deadlines of the publications department
- intensive experience with Microsoft Office and InDesign
- ability to juggle multiple projects at once without sacrificing attention to detail
- excellent written communication skills
- strong critical and analytical thinking skills; ability to comprehend complex multidisciplinary writing
- experience working in a membership-based, constituent-focused organization and/or in higher education a plus.