The Athletic is a digital sports media company that brings true sports fans closer to the athletes, teams and leagues that captivate their attention. We serve a multi-faceted audience that craves a richer connection and understanding with immersive storytelling and a like-minded community of fans. Founded in 2016 and with major operational hubs in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London and Melbourne, we empower a truly global team of more than 600 creators and cover more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams across the United States, Canada and the UK. Our newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth reports along with more than 120 podcasts and other forms of premium content. Put simply, The Athletic is at the center of a sports fan’s universe.
About the Role
The Athletic is looking for an energetic, motivated reporter to cover the Philadelphia Eagles, who is interested in telling unique and differentiating stories to an audience that appreciates quality above all else, as well as keeping that audience informed of all the news on the beat.
This role can be remote for candidates in the US or Canada.
- Excellent news sense, along with strong sources to break or advance the news.
- A sharp, analytical mind able to analyze a situation and add perspective.
- Attention to detail; must be meticulous and thorough when sourcing stories.
- Ability to tell rich, ambitious, features through deep reporting and access that takes readers beyond the superficial storylines.
- Ability to work on a number of projects at the same time, balancing long-term projects with the need to deliver stories on a regular basis.
- Ability to write quick news stories and provide analysis for a variety of platforms, including live journalism
- Creative and innovative approach to story ideation and formats.
- Unique and strong voice that can stand out from competitors.
- Must have the ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and share information.
- Desire to connect with the audience by interacting with our community section and also holding live rooms, as appropriate.
- Interest in internal metrics that can help educate what subscribers desire.
- Minimum 4+ years of relevant experience at a media company.
- Thorough knowledge of the National Football League.
- Thorough knowledge of the journalistic process.
- Interest in other journalistic platforms, including podcasting, a plus.
- This position is based in the Philadelphia metropolitan area.
The annual base salary range for this role is $85,000.00 – $115,000.00 USD. The total compensation offered for this position may vary based on factors such as education, experience, skills, and location. It may also include non-cash rewards and benefits. The base salary range is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
The Athletic offers unique perks and benefits to all full-time employees based on their country of residence. Our comprehensive US benefits package includes:
– Highly competitive, employer-contributed medical, dental, vision, basic life and disability insurance plans.
– Savings accounts for medical, wellness, and childcare expenses.
– 401k retirement savings plan and employer match.
– Paid time off including paid sick leave, 11 paid holidays, up to 20 days of accrued paid time off, and up to 20 weeks of Paid Parental Leave.
For international candidates: Our global benefits packages offer similar benefits and perks, competitive to the local market.