Microsoft’s mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. As employees we come together with a growth mindset, innovate to empower others, and collaborate to realize our shared goals. Each day we build on our values of respect, integrity, and accountability to create a culture of inclusion where everyone can thrive at work and beyond.
The Commerce + Ecosystems (C+E) Commerce team is working to enable an easier experience for customers and partners to grow, as well as to buy and do business with us by delivering a dependable, safe, and secure commerce infrastructure. The Ecosystems team is committed to driving discovery and awareness of Microsoft within our ecosystem of products and services, as well as reaching technical communities around the globe.
As part of the Ecosystems business within C+E, the Skilling organization skills the workforce of today and tomorrow by providing a single, coherent, online platform that enables Microsoft to bring content and experience to customers to enable them to learn, grow, and adopt Microsoft technology. Learners can gain new skills, solve problems, and connect with other technologists through access to technical documentation, training, Q&A. They can also discover architectural guidance, frameworks, and code samples to help them make the most of Microsoft technology. We make these resources available through 1st party in-product integrations, 3rd party experiences, at events and through channels.
Are you passionate about delivering technical content that helps customers use products and services? Do you have experience using Linux and Cloud infrastructure services – compute, storage, containers, and/or networking? If yes, come join our experienced team of content developers and help us help others achieve more.
This is an exciting and important role that will connect with people across the company to create guidance making it easier for Linux cloud native companies to use Azure services. We’re looking for an experienced instructional writer with a talent for making complex technologies accessible to others. You will create and maintain content for Azure services for Linux cloud native customers. You’re organized and thrive on deadlines. You enjoy the challenge of managing content strategy and bringing together experts to tell a compelling story. You’re customer-obsessed and eager to show impact. You set priorities using data and use search engine optimization (SEO) practices to enable easy discovery of your content.
As a Senior Content Developer
- You will work with product program managers, customers, engineers, support, and marketing to create compelling documentation, training, and architectural guidance for Azure (https://learn.microsoft.com).
- Plan: Develop, prioritize, and execute customer-focused, data-informed content plans using an agile methodology.
- Create: Author and publish high-impact content addressing the needs of the Linux cloud native developer audience.
- Collaborate: Work with business stakeholders, support, marketing, and customers to understand customer goals and what they need to succeed (Pacific time-zone hours primarily).
- Administer: Maintain GitHub repositories and assist contributors with their pull requests.
- Analyze: Use data to report on your impact, prioritize your work, and adjust to future plans.
- Design: Use content standards and templates to ensure consistency in the documentation.
- Code: Write and manipulate command-line examples, code samples, and snippets to support documentation (PowerShell, .NET, Python, REST, ARM, etc.).
- 5+ years experience in writing, content design, information technology (IT), or coding/programming
- OR equivalent experience
- Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter
- 5+ years of proven writing, content design, information technology (IT), or coding/programming experience OR equivalent experience.
- 6+ years of proven writing, content design, information technology (IT), or coding/programming experience
- 5+ years of experience with open-source projects, Linux, and Kubernetes
- 1+ year(s) of project leadership/management experience
- 1+ year(s) of project management experience
- Effective written and verbal skills
- Writing samples to share (links or .PDF of books, documentation, training, blog posts, help articles, etc.)
- Experience with or look forward to quickly learning Git, GitHub, and Markdown
- Experience using SQL queries, Power BI reports, and/or Azure Data Explorer queries
- Knowledge of programming concepts in one or more of these languages: PowerShell, C#, .NET, Python, REST, ARM, etc.
- Experience in gathering customer requirements and in managing and prioritizing across multiple deliverables
- Skills in communication, cross-group collaboration, and teamwork
- Experience with cloud storage concepts and technologies
- Experience working in GitHub and Markdown
- Familiarity with RESTful APIs
Technical Writing IC4 – The typical base pay range for this role across the U.S. is USD $112,000 – $218,400 per year. There is a different range applicable to specific work locations, within the San Francisco Bay area and New York City metropolitan area, and the base pay range for this role in those locations is USD $145,800 – $238,600 per year.