The Verge Reviews program is the essential guide to tech. Our goal is to help our massive audience decide what to buy, what not to, and how to use it all — but those are just the basics. Verge Guides go further: our stories explain why the tech that’s impacting your life right now is worth paying attention to. Across video, photography, the web, and every platform imaginable, our reviews and guides educate our audience. We may be experts, but we don’t speak in arcane language and we always strive to tell stories in addition to measuring specs.
The Verge is seeking a Reviewer to join our Reviews and Guides team. As reviews writer, you’ll work directly with our Deputy Editor, Senior Reviews Editor, and team to serve our audience with information that helps them understand how products and services work and which ones they should spend their money on.
As a writer on this team, you will be responsible for delivering on those promises to our audience. You’ll work closely with editors, finding the right angles on how-to articles and guides. You’ll also occasionally work with our commerce team to use your knowledge about the products and services we cover to help them make important buying decisions.
Our ideal candidate has strong editorial and organizational skills and expertise in writing about technology. You will hopefully have a broad base of knowledge about gadgets and software.
This role will be focused on covering laptops, personal computers, and their related accessories. Assignments include both long and short form reviews, how-to articles, contributing to our deals coverage when relevant, and covering relevant news and announcements for the category.
The Verge is an ambitious multimedia effort founded in 2011 to examine how technology will change life in the future for a massive mainstream audience.
The Verge is part of Vox Media, the leading modern media company. We guide our audience from discovery to obsession. We inspire essential conversations about what’s now, what’s next, and what’s possible.
As a community of journalists and storytellers, business professionals, creators and technologists, we believe it is a moral and business imperative to amplify voices: to cultivate diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout our organization and media. This applies to our candidates, our teams, our storytelling, our creative work, and our platforms, products, and partnerships.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Write reviews of laptops, personal computers, and accessories
- Write and maintain Buying Guides related to the beat
- Work with Vox Media’s Commerce team to optimize articles for e-commerce performance
- Establish and maintain relationships with the companies in the space with the goal of securing higher levels of access for both reviews and news coverage
- Write How To articles within the laptop and personal computer areas of expertise
- Contribute news articles related to the laptop and personal computer industry
WHO YOU ARE
- 2-5 years of experience reviewing technology products for a consumer audience
- Experience working with PR contacts and establishing relationships
- Familiarity with The Verge’s consumer tech coverage and a love for gadgets & the latest tech gear
- Ability to take product photos
- Experience on video or willingness to be on camera in the future
If you think you have what it takes, but don’t meet every single point in our job posting, please apply with a cover letter to let us know how you believe you can bring your unique skills to the Vox Media team or get in touch! We’ve hired chefs who became editors, DJs who became UX designers, and sommeliers who became writers.