Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Miami, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, D.C.
The Major Gifts Data Associate reports to the Major Gifts Data Manager and will work closely with the Principal and Major Gifts Officers on data entry, hygiene, and portfolio management needs for their activities with the organization’s largest donors. The person in this role will work in an administrative capacity to ensure timely, accurate, and consistent data entry for donor related responsibilities. This will include, but is not limited to, entering donor correspondence and meeting notes, updating donor records, inputting information on donor strategies, and participating in various data hygiene projects.
The Associate will partner with the Major Gifts Data Manager to monitor the team’s progress against its fundraising goals and support a recurring portfolio review process.
This position requires a self‐starter who can work both collaboratively and independently and possesses strong interpersonal skills. They must be highly detail-oriented and be able to manage multiple projects and tasks simultaneously while taking direction from multiple people.
The candidate should have demonstrated ability in using CRM databases, an impeccable attention to detail, and a meaningful enjoyment of efficiency and spreadsheets.
The Major Gifts Data Associate is a member of the Major Gifts team, as well as a key part of the Major & Principal Gifts Systems sub-team.
This position can be based remotely anywhere in the U.S.
Portfolio Management (40%)
- Support the Major Gifts Data Manager in executing Portfolio Reviews for Principal and Major Gifts teams, including scheduling, preparing materials, and coordinating action following each review.
- Manage monthly Donor Progress reports to Principal and Major Gifts teams.
- Coordinate the annual Board of Trustee and Council work plans process and data tracking in partnership with Major Gifts Data Manager and Data Associate.
- Work in partnership with Gift Officers and other development teams to continuously update constituent management, communications, and ensure seamless donor experience.
- Support the Major Gifts Data Manager with end and beginning of fiscal year portfolio processes across Principal and Major Gifts teams, and make sure donor records are complete and accurate for 700+ donors.
- Support the Major Gifts Data Manager with portfolio management projects throughout the year.
Data Entry and Integrity and Database Administration for Principal & Major Gifts Team (50%)
- Monitor the data entry inbox and ensure all donor email correspondence is accurately entered into the CRM database for assigned Principal and Major Gift Officers.
- Input donor engagement information into the database in an accurate and timely fashion.
- Complete Major and Principal Gifts data hygiene projects to ensure accurate donor information is reflected in donor database.
- Enter and track solicitation details in partnership with Major Gifts Data Manager and Gift Officers and provide mailing support for fall and spring solicitation letters.
- Monitor team’s administrative inbox and respond to requests from fundraisers.
- Update relevant operational documentation on team’s intranet site (Atlas).
- Partner with MG & PR Systems Team staff and Gift Officers to update donor strategies and upcoming engagement activities to ensure good data hygiene and Moves Management best practice.
- Partner with the Major Gifts Data Manager to deliver quarterly metrics and goals reports to the Principal and Major Gifts teams.
- Ensure team systems and tools are used effectively and that project execution is done accurately and in accordance with all adopted departmental and organizational policies and procedures.
- Serve as backup to other members of the Major Gifts Systems team, as needed.
Responsiveness to Administrative Requests (10%)
- Support other team members with tasks, projects, and assignments as needed.
- Participate in team and organizational diversity, equity, and inclusion trainings and conversations, and demonstrate commitment to continued learning around Earthjustice’s values of justice, inclusion, excellence, and partnership.
- Bachelor’s degree plus 3-5+ years of relevant experience, or Associate’s degree plus a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience required.
- A minimum of 3 years of Development experience (fundraising) preferred, or 5 years of related nonprofit experience.
- CRM database management skills required with ability to produce reports and to use advanced functions.
- Meticulous attention to detail, including ability to work comfortably with data sets and numbers, and an ability to zero in on minute details related to donor giving.
- Excellent analytical skills, ability to adapt, cooperate effectively, and creatively problem solve.
- Advanced knowledge of Outlook, Word, and Excel or equivalents required, including sophisticated knowledge of the Internet.
- Exemplary organizational skills, including ability to handle multiple tasks, meet deadlines, and prioritize assignments coming from multiple stakeholders.
- A self‐starter who is able to work both collaboratively and independently, and possesses strong interpersonal skills.
- Previous experience supporting Major Gifts Officers and/or data entry a bonus.
- Ability to field requests from multiple stakeholders with an approachable, curious, and considerate attitude.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.;
- Ability to use discretion and diplomacy in dealing with donors, Board members, and colleagues and in handling confidential information.
- A strong communicator who can interact with staff members across the organization.
- Background and/or interest in environmental issues preferred.
- Sense of humor desired.
Salary and Benefits
We offer a mission and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal-opportunity employer and highly values diversity. As a 501(c)(3) organization, Earthjustice is a qualifying employer for purposes of the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program.
Salary is based on experience and location.
Salary range in San Francisco, CA or New York, NY: $69,800 – $77,600
Salary range in Seattle, WA, Washington, D.C., or Chicago, IL: $66,400 – $73,800
Salary range in Denver, CO or Philadelphia, PA: $62,900 – $69,900
Salary range in Miami, FL, Texas (state), or Atlanta, GA: $59,400 – $66,000
The remote salary range for other locations in the U.S.: $59,400 – $73,800
To Apply: Interested candidates should submit the following via Jobvite by October 5th, 2023:
- Cover Letter
Please reach out to [email protected] if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.