Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally-focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer Prize-winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes The USA TODAY NETWORK, which includes USA TODAY, and local media organizations in 43 states in the United States, and Newsquest, a wholly-owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom. We also own digital marketing services companies under the brand LocaliQ, which provide a cloud-based platform of products to enable small and medium-sized businesses to accomplish their marketing goals. In addition, our portfolio includes one of the largest media-owned events businesses in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
USA TODAY is seeking a reporter to join its Fact Check Team. This reporter will investigate viral misinformation on social media, debunking falsehoods and elevating truthful information. This is an exciting opportunity to work with a talented team of journalists who set the record straight by telling readers what’s true and how we know that.
The ideal candidate would have a strong background reporting across a variety of subject areas. Fact-checking experience is a plus but not required. Fairness, accuracy and excellent news judgment are paramount, as are strong critical thinking, research and time-management skills. The reporter should also be a team player capable of working collaboratively with editors and reporters throughout our news operation.
We’re looking for someone who is comfortable tackling fact checks on a wide variety of topics, able to move nimbly between claims on health, politics, criminal justice and whatever else is viral and misleading.
This position is remote and can be based anywhere in the U.S. except Alaska & Hawaii. Hours are flexible but should primarily take place during traditional office hours.
Job Level: Reporter II
Minimum Salary: $62,000
- Identify claims that are spreading widely and involve worthwhile topics.
- Research every story fairly and thoroughly.
- Write fact checks that are clear, succinct, transparent and unimpeachably fair.
- Work with editors to evaluate what’s working and what’s not and develop ongoing plans to better satisfy team and audience needs.
- Provide great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in journalism or any other subject or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5 years of experience in journalism.
- Strong critical thinking skills.
- Solid news judgment.
- Knowledge of AP style.
- Strong planning, organizational and time management skills.
- Understanding of metrics, social media and SEO.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Strong collaboration and communication skills.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order.
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.