This is a global remote position.
Devex is the media platform for the global development community. As a social enterprise, we connect and inform development, health, humanitarian and sustainability professionals through news, business intelligence and funding and career opportunities. Our goal is to do more good for more people. Today, we reach over 1 million aid workers and development professionals, and we can’t wait to make it even more.
Are you passionate about finding innovative ways to listen to and engage communities around journalism that matters â€“ on social media and beyond? Are you excited about the idea of being part of a news organization that has a social impact focus and an open, teamwork-focused culture? If youâ€™re interested in making a positive difference in the world, working with and for an audience that seeks to achieve a better and more sustainable future for all, read on.
You have a background in journalism and a strong interest in or knowledge of global development. You’re detail-oriented and have an open and collaborative attitude. You know and care about engaging and growing audiences, reaching them where they are and in ways that meet their needs. You thrive in an environment where you take charge of your own initiatives and targets, while getting the support you need. If that sounds like you, please consider this Engagement Editor role weâ€™re hiring for at Devex.
What you’ll do here
Reporting directly to the Director of Audience and News Product, youâ€™ll work closely with the news room and audience teams to take our insider reporting and analysis driving the global development agenda to a variety of platforms and spur engagement around our content.
Using your strong understanding of various social platforms and how news rooms can participate there in an authentic way, youâ€™ll develop and implement a social media strategy that is tailored to each platform and fits into Devexâ€™s broader audience strategy and goals. Youâ€™ll also apply your creativity and experience with engagement tools and techniques to deepen relationships with our audience and make our content more participatory, distinct, and valuable to them. Being well-versed in journalism ethics and standards, you know how to take the lead in how we engage and respond on our social media channels, and jump on opportunities as they arise.
Your responsibilities include:
- Develop and create content and engagement opportunities, specifically for social media platforms.
- Work with reporters, editors, and the audience teams on social promotion of and engagement around our journalism:
- Stay on top of news headlines and trending topics on social as well as our own story and event lineup and identify which content to promote and which social conversations we might start or engage in.
- Plan, draft, implement, and monitor social media campaigns with the goal of optimizing reach and engagement.
- Guide other team members on how they can help amplify our engagement and growth initiatives, sharing best practices and insights specific to our audience.
- Identify news pegs and opportunities to repromote older and evergreen content.
- Work with stakeholders across teams on streamlining and automating social media distribution and engagement processes.
- Conceive of and run experiments on social media, testing graphics, language, tone/voice, formats and paid promotion.
- Know and advocate for our audiences
- Develop a deep understanding of information and connectivity needs of our target audiences on the most relevant platforms such as Twitter and LinkedIn.
- Using crowdsourcing tools and techniques, gather questions, interests, insights, and ideas from our expert audiences to contribute to our content and event planning, creating journalism that reflects their concerns and priorities.
- Actively and regularly contribute to larger engagement and growth initiatives and ideas based on insights you gained from listening to our audiences on the respective platforms and industry trends.
Knowledge and experiences weâ€™re looking for in a candidate
- Experience in journalism, as a reporter, editor, audience growth/engagement or social media manager
- Knowledge of and passion for community engagement and working with established and emerging social media platforms
- Demonstrated ability to write and edit engaging copy across a range of platforms
- Well-versed in optimizing content for platforms beyond the website, by not just packaging and distributing it across social channels but also thinking about native engagement opportunities
- Detail-oriented and with excellent organizational, time management and communication skills and ability manage multiple projects at the same time
- A team player whoâ€™s eager to collaborate, but also has the ability to drive projects
- Experience working at a major news and/ or global development organization
- Experience with analytics and listening tools such as Google Analytics, SocialFlow, Twitter Analytics, LinkedIn Analytics, Facebook Analytics, Sprout Social
If youâ€™re interested in this job but donâ€™t meet all of the qualifications, we encourage you to still apply. Make sure to include in your cover letter why you think your skills and experience could make you a great fit for this role.
What We Offer You
When you become a Devexer, youâ€™re not only joining a global news organization but a team of 120+ passionate people who value our guiding principles:
- We champion global development professionals.
- We focus on impact.
- We embrace transformation.
- We work together.
- We feel urgency.
Being part of the Devex team is a partnership. We strive to make Devex a place where you can thrive and do your most inspirational work. Here are a few benefits we offer:
- 2, week-long Devex-wide breaks on top of standard holiday days
- 15 days annual leave
- 2 YAY days
- 2 Learning days
- Monthly professional and wellness activities
- Other benefits might apply
- Invitation to complete a HireVue (recorded interview)
- Quick call with hiring manager
- Take-home challenge
- Final interviews