Employer: Warner Music Group
At Warner Music Group, we’re a global collective of music makers and music lovers, tech innovators and inspired entrepreneurs, game-changing creatives and passionate team members. Here, we know that each talent makes our collective bolder and brighter. We are guided by four core principles that underpin everything we do across all our diverse businesses:
- Music is Everything: Music is our passion, and we can never get enough. Tastes, trends, and tech will change, but great artists and songwriters will always be our driving force.
- Global Growth, Local Expertise: Music is a global language. Through communication and collaboration, our success can come from anywhere and translate everywhere.
- Innovation and Insight: Pushing the boundaries requires the best information and the boldest imagination. We use both to create the future.
- Empowered by People: Like the artists we serve and the music they make, our differences make us stronger. This is a place where every talent can belong and build a career.
We remain committed to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. We know it fosters a culture where you can truly belong, contribute, and grow. We encourage applications from people of any age, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religion, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, and any other characteristic or identity.
Consider a career at WMG and get the best of both worlds an innovative global music company that retains the creative spirit of a nimble independent.
Job Title: Analyst, Artist Royalties
A little bit about our team:
The U.S. Shared Services organization is based in WMG’s Center of Excellence for Shared Services. The Center consists of five departments: Analysis, Finance, Legal, Licensing, and Reporting. Employees of the Center provide services to all of WMG’s U.S. record labels, Warner Chappell Music Publishing, WEA Corp. and Alternative Distribution Alliance (WMG’s distribution companies), and WMG’s other U.S. business units.
The candidate hired to fill this position will be responsible for entering and maintaining record royalty rates for the applicable royalty recipient and rendering record royalty statements for the Group’s record label clients. The candidate will analyze output from the various royalty and financial systems to respond to questions and communicate results to internal and external departments and clients.
Here you’ll get to:
- Review and analyze recording agreements, producer agreements and other similar agreements (and any corresponding deal summaries or deal memos) for the purpose of identifying and summarizing the applicable royalty rates, related terms and payee information for a given record or recording and then enter those terms into WMG’s artist royalty system;
- Analyze output from the various royalty systems to respond to questions and communicate results to WMG Labels Business Affairs Departments;
- Perform Fund Calculations for Business Affairs based on Artist contractual language.
- Perform Recoupment analyses for 3rd party recipients;
- Assist with WMG’s monthly, quarterly and annual financial close processes as needed by responding to information requests from WMG’s Corporate and Royalty Finance Departments and the Finance Departments of WMG’s U.S. Record Labels;
- Create and maintain royalty accounts information for royalty recipients in WMG’s artist royalty system, including by updating the recipient’s contact information and tax identification numbers as needed;
- Link individual record products to the applicable contractual terms as they have been set-up in WMG’s artist royalty system in a timely manner;
- Perform and review adjustments to existing royalty rate set-ups in WMG’s artist royalty system, as needed;
- Process and review semi annual, quarterly and monthly artist royalty statements to ensure the accuracy of both the royalty rates applied and the underlying earnings on which royalties are being paid;
- Ensure that artist royalty statements are issued in a timely manner;
- Provide the Income Tracking Team in the Revenue Assurance Group with direction regarding the contractual terms to be applied to third party licensing income, to ensure that royalty recipients are paid properly with respect to third party licenses.
- Perform any other duties and tasks related to the Department’s role and responsibilities that might be assigned by the Team’s senior management from time to time.
- Must be able to work well independently and as part of a team;
- Have strong computer skills, including strong data entry and data analysis skills (with an emphasis on accuracy and problem-solving) and strong proficiency using Microsoft Office’s Excel, including pivot tables and vlookups, Word and PowerPoint applications; familiarity with Microsoft Office’s Access application is strongly preferred, but not required;.
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Possess excellent analytical, mathematical and organizational skills;
- Meet deadlines consistently and effectively while working under pressure; and
- Must be able to manage multiple assignments at any given time and prioritize them effectively and appropriately.
We’d love it if you also had:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Candidate should possess 0 to 2 years’ experience working in a position or positions involving the administration and analysis of artist royalties.
- Candidate should be prepared to work overtime toward the end of each quarterly or semi annual royalty statement cycle; candidate should be prepared to schedule vacation days at times that will not conflict with these deadlines, so that their absences do not interfere with their ability to meet royalty statement deadlines.