Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally-focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer Prize-winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes The USA TODAY NETWORK, which includes USA TODAY, and local media organizations in 43 states in the United States, and Newsquest, a wholly-owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom. We also own digital marketing services companies under the brand LocaliQ, which provide a cloud-based platform of products to enable small and medium-sized businesses to accomplish their marketing goals. In addition, our portfolio includes one of the largest media-owned events businesses in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
National Political Correspondent
USA TODAY is seeking a top-notch political correspondent who will break major news during one of the most consequential presidential contests in modern history. This journalist will have a proven track record of delivering not just scoops but also high-impact enterprise.
They will work closely with the overall Campaigns Team and the USA TODAY NETWORK, maximizing the organization’s broad footprint to tell the story of how this campaign is reverberating across the nation.
This position will be for a one-year contract, with the possibility of an extension.
Job Level: Sr National News Reporter
Minimum salary: $85,000
- Handle both daily assignments and deliver groundbreaking scoops plus high-level enterprise.
- Be a key member of the 2024 election coverage team.
- Provide quick analysis that helps readers know “what this really means.”
- Create storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms.
- Collaborate with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Capture basic photos and video as needed.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in journalism or any other subject or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Five years of journalism/newsroom experience is required, with a focus on political journalism.
- Energetic self-starter and a fast thinker who can spot stories that matter.
- Strong communication skills, news judgement and headline-writing ability.
- Ability to multitask and excel under intense deadline pressure.
- Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently with a team of journalists.
- Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills; familiarity with AP style.
- Command of media law and principles of ethical conduct.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer, pre-employment background check, drug screen and motor vehicle record check.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume – one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
The annualized base salary for this role will range between $85,000.00 and $244,950.00. Variable compensation is not reflected in these figures and based on the role, may be applicable. Exact compensation may vary based on skills, experience, location, and union representation, if applicable. APPLY HERE