The Copyeditor reviews, refines, and proofreads copy and art prior to client review, makes/finesses client revisions, and provides a final review prior to art output. S/he also maintains all client style guides, and will perform some writing duties, as needed.
- Proofreads creative materials to ensure error-free work, including checking for correct spelling, grammar, punctuation, format, and adherence to client style.
- Reviews all materials generated by creative team at multiple stages of a job — copy decks, art proofs, printer proofs, interactive test files, etc.
- Reviews all materials generated by digital team at multiple stages of a job — copy decks, emails, test/final emails, social ads, etc.
- Edits copy to enhance readability; improve logic, flow, and emotional impact; ensure consistency of messaging; and, overall, improve donor response, as needed.
- Corrects any errors directly in Adobe InDesign or Adobe XD files. When InDesign files are not available, clearly communicates changes via standard proofreaders’ marks or software commenting tools, like Adobe Acrobat or track changes within Microsoft Word.
- Applies any changes/edits consistently within the project, as well as across all client communications and channels, as needed.
- Writes clear, effective fundraising copy for assigned clients, and others as required.
- Creates other “versions” of existing creative work as needed to meet varying client needs.
- Maintains internal style guides for all assigned clients, with the input of the creative and client service teams assigned to each client.
- Works with the writers and rest of copyediting team to maintain resource/story banks for clients, and helps to catalog and maintain information via other tracking tools.
- Edits/proofreads other agency documents as requested, such as proposals, presentations, marketing communications, and related client-facing materials.
- Works with larger creative team to improve processes and workflow as needed.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Communications, or related field.
- 2+ years of professional copyediting experience, preferably in an advertising or marketing agency environment.
- Fundraising knowledge and experience a plus.
- Demonstrable facility with all aspects of English language — spelling, grammar, syntax.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products, as well as Adobe InDesign and XD (for editing within design files) and Adobe Acrobat.
- Extremely detail-oriented; readily able to identify inaccuracies and inconsistencies.
- Able to work within set, tight deadlines at maximum efficiency.
- Highly flexible, organized, and able to manage multiple competing priorities.
- Must thrive on solving problems creatively and proactively.
- Familiarity with grammar and style reference books, such as The Associated Press Stylebook.
- Familiarity with project management systems/tools like Workfront a plus.
We offer a comprehensive package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, 401(k) + match, STD/LTD, generous PTO, Parental Leave, EAP, and 11 paid Holidays. Employees enjoy participation in our employee engagement activities.